About Sandsfoot Castle
Sandsfoot Castle, also known as Weymouth Castle, has a vast history dating back to 1539, where it was completed on the order of King Henry VIII. In 1902 the ruins of the castle were purchased by Weymouth Corporation, for the bargain price of £150 and in 1931 the beautiful Tudor style gardens were laid out, which have always been popular with the locals. Overtime the appearance of the castle has changed, with much of its stone facing being robbed over the years - some rumoured to have been used for the first stone bridge between Weymouth and Melcombe Regis. But in 2009 and 2010 the ‘Friends of Rodwell Trail and Sandsfoot Castle,’ in partnership with Weymouth and Portland Borough Council, received grants to renovate the castle and add an internal walkway with floodlighting, in order to give free public access and conserve the castle for future generations. It has now been listed by English Heritage and is Weymouth’s only Scheduled Monument.
|Telephone:||01305 838 297|
|Recommended Time:||1 - 2 hours|
|Opening Times:||See website or call for details.|
|Indoors / Outdoors:||Indoors, Outdoors|
|Categories:||Ancient Ruins, Architectural Buildings, Castles, Gardens, Hiking Trails, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks|